For any woodworking professional, the jointer is a tool that helps to smoothen the surface of the complex lumber pieces and that too in quiet operation. But, when there is a matter of picking up the best 8-inch jointer for the workshop, then it may seem to be somewhat difficult even for a pro. This thing happens maybe because of there are a few top brands who claim to manufacture the perfect woodworking machine. So today, I have filtered out the top 8” wood jointer reviews which will help you get the perfect tool for the money.
Best 8 Inch Jointer
1. Powermatic 1610086K 60HH 8-Inch Jointer with Helical Cutterhead
The 1610086K is one of the best tools provided by Powermatic. This 8” jointer comes with a helical cutterhead and ensures the efficient output for handling the larger volume woodworking needs.
Advantages of Powermatic 16010086K Jointer:
- It comes with 230V horsepower each on two single-phase motors to make it capable of handling a large capacity of the wooden material.
- Though it has a stationary build, it provides easier operation and quicker adjustments.
- The helical cutter head moves at 7000 round per minute which lets the machine speak by its dominant performance.
- Due to its robust-built and quality material, the 1610086K jointer lasts for long even in harsh conditions.
- 5-year limited warranty from the company offers you to have a hassle-free purchase.
Drawback of Powermatic 1610086K 8 Jointer:
- Though this 8-inch jointer comes with a lot of intuitive features, it may seem too pricey for some users.
2. JET 708458K JJ-8CS 8-Inch Closed Stand Jointer
The Jet JJ-8CS is actually a two-in-one machine. It can work like a benchtop jointer and a planner simultaneously. Such combination of tools makes it a handy machine for the professional woodworkers.
Advantages of Jet JJP-8BT Bench Top Jointer are:
- It comes with a robust 2HP motor which generates almost 16,500 cuts per minute to give you beneficial works.
- Easy to adjust metal-made outfeed table offers user-friendly operation.
- The two large knobs are comfortable to handle without much effort.
- Though this machine can work like a jointer or a planner, it has a compact and portable design.
- The stainless steel knives give a precise cut to any piece of lumber.
- The 3-year warranty from the company allows you to have a hassle-free purchase.
Drawbacks of Jet JJP-8BT:
- To make this machine lightweight, the company has made some parts of plastic instead of metal.
- It does not have the effective dust-collection system.
3. Shop Fox W1741 Jointer with Parallelogram Adjustable Beds
If you are looking for a fully-featured 8 jointer at an affordable price, then go for buying this Shop Fox W1741 woodworking machine. The parallelogram design with the cast iron build of the table provides precision cuts on the wood pieces.
Advantages of Shop Fox W1741 8 Jointer are:
- The 3HP 220V single phase motor rotates 3450 times per minute to provide faster working of up to 21400 cuts per minute.
- The cast-iron fence is easy to adjust due to its lock lever handle. Also, you can keep it secure while not in use.
- Bevel cutting, edge jointing, surface jointing, planning, or any other wood adjustment task you want, can be done easily with Shop Fox W1741.
- It has the maximum depth cut capacity of 1/8” and maximum width cut capacity of 8”.
- The bearings are shielded & lubricated. Also, this machine is equipped with magnetic and thermal overload protected.
Drawbacks of Shop Fox W1741 Jointer:
- It is not a lightweight machine, and so you alone cannot move it from one place to another place.
- The setup process is not so beginner-friendly.
4. Powermatic 1610079 PJ882 8-Inch Jointer
The PJ882 is another great 8-inch jointer from Powermatic. The parallelogram build provides an improved finish of the wood by keeping the table closer to the cutterhead. Not only this, but such design keeps the table in parallel, even after a long time of use.
Advantages of Powermatic 1610079 PJ888 Jointer are:
- The cutterhead runs at 7000 rounds per minute due to its 3HP single phase motor and cuts approximately 21000 lumber pieces per minute.
- The 8-inch wide bed provides extra support and space on the infeed table.
- You can easily overrule the limitation of depth of cut for a rabbet cut.
- The infeed table remains scratchproof due to the no-mar fence.
- The limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer allows you to have a hassle-free purchase.
Drawbacks of Powermatic PJ888 Jointer:
- The price is too much higher for some professionals, especially for the beginners in the field.
- Stationary built, means it is not a truly portable machine.
5. Jet JJ-8HH Helical Head 8 Jointer
The JJ-8HH is a budget-friendly 8” jointer from Jet. The infeed & outfeed tables and fence are straight, flat and in coplanar positions. It does the perfect job of surfacing the wood pieces, especially the wider ones like a Cottonwood.
Advantages of Jet JJ-8HH Jointer are:
- You will get smoother cuts with superior finish due to its helical head design.
- It has a 4-inch wider port of dust chute which easily connects with your dust collection system to avoid any mess at your workplace.
- The 2HP motor provides the cutterhead speed of 5500 RPM for productive and beneficial woodwork.
- The infeed and outfeed tables are made with good-quality cast-iron material to provide precise cuts and finish, even on the longer wood boards.
- The fence can tilt in both ways at 450 and 900 which mean you will have the smoothest beveling operation.
Drawbacks of Jet JJ-8HH:
- Due to its T-style design, it will be difficult to loosen or tighten the lever locks.
- The wrench access is not so easy.
Choosing the best 8 jointer
It will be helpful if you keep the direction of the wood in the right position. The grain surface should be in away direction from the knives and should run towards the outfeed table. Such tips can be career-turning for the newcomers in the woodworking field.
When you are looking for the best 8 jointers for your job, then do consider some essential things like the table length, its width, total number of knives, type of cutter head, capability of the cuts, maximum depth and width of cut, adjustment, motor capacity, material used, warranty and of course, price of the machine.
Comparison of Best 8 Jointers
|Powermatic 1610086K||Jet JJ-8CS||Shop Fox W1741||Powermatic 1610079||Jet JJ-8HH|
|Number of Knives||54||3||4||3||36|
|Cutterhead Speed (RPM)||7000||16,500||5350||7000||5500|
|Horsepower||2 HP||2 HP||3 HP||2 HP||2 HP|
The Powermatic 1610086K Single Phase 8-inch Jointer is my favorite and currently is the best 8 jointer on the market. This determination is based on my experiments, tests, and upon other user reviews. But, that does not mean all the other products mentioned here are not worthy. Each product in this list has its own unique features and some distinct selling points. So, be wise and choose your suitable 8” jointer by checking all the specifications and features.
Which jointer will you buy for your woodwork? Is there any outstanding machine which I missed to mention here? Spread your words in the comment section below.